Sunday, June 2, 2013

Are You Really Instagram Flexin' in Church Though? Please Smack Yourself, Then Proceed to the Nearest Exit.

So let me start off by saying that in church, I am typically not the kind of person who pays attention to what other people are doing, wearing, singing, talking about, etc. For me, worship is the ultimate personal experience...an opportunity to come to a holy place with other like-minded people and reflect on and rejoice over the goodness of God, despite my flawed humanness. Put simply, I'm there for no other reason than to get my praise on and to hear a good word that I can apply to my own life. Today, however, was a little bit different. At my church (as is the case in many churches), we observe the Lord's Supper through the practice of Holy Communion on first Sundays. For most believers, it is a sacred time to privately acknowledge and confess your sins, and reflect on Jesus's ultimate sacrifice of death on the cross for the remission of those sins. Normally during this time, I am in head-bowed-eyes-closed mode. But alas, the devil was busy. At one point he taps me on the shoulder. I happen to look up, and am quite startled by what I see. The woman sitting directly in front of me has her iPad out, and is taking pictures of herself (duck lip, peace sign, and all), then proceeding to upload them on Instagram. I scrunch my face, and my mind yells out a full blown "What the hell?!?" followed by "Lord forgive me for that, but is this really happening right now?" I look on for another minute or two out of sheer curiosity, in an attempt to make sure that my eyes aren't deceiving me. After being sure that they weren't, I asked the Lord to forgive me once more for being distracted, and turned my attention back to worship. 

Maybe I'm just trippin', but am I the only person who thinks its absolutely not okay to Facebook, Tweet, text, Instagram, etc. while in church? I get that social media has become a huge part of our everyday existence, but at what point do we set boundaries for its use? Have we become so self-absorbed that not even God requires our undivided attention? Don't get me wrong, I am just as guilty as the next person of whipping out my phone and tweeting/Facebooking everyday experiences instead of really being fully present in the moment, a habit that I'm working to break myself out of. At the same time, I have enough common sense to recognize that in some moments (i.e. church) the presence of social media is just not appropriate. But different strokes for different folks, I suppose. And based upon that logic, I will step down from my soapbox and end my judgmental tirade here. But one more thing before I go...

To the woman who was sitting in the pew in front of me "on Instagram straight flexin,' " this side-eye is for you: 

 


-MsSexyDanielle

No comments:

Post a Comment