Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Single Disease


The first sentence in this picture provides such an emphatic answer to so many questions that have been swimming through my mind lately that I had to repost it. This week, my school was on fall break and I traveled to Charleston for some much needed time with my family and friends. Prior to coming home, I was beginning to slide into a bit of a funk....work was becoming increasingly more stressful, my Ed.S degree program was becoming more difficult to balance, and one of the gentlemen I had been seeing for the last couple of months had decided to take a ride on the bullshit train. With all that going on, I couldn't wait to get home and take a mental break. While I had an amazing time  visiting my family, friends, and former students/colleagues, a recurring question kept popping up that made the funky mood I was trying to escape creep back into my periphery.

"So when are you getting married?" "Are we gonna be planning a wedding for you soon?" "Hopefully, we'll be getting an invite to Atlanta for an engagement party in the near future." "When are you gonna have some kids? You are 29, you know, you won't be able to for much longer."

Unfortunately, in these situations it's not polite to tell people to fuck off and mind their own business...LOL.

But seriously, in the midst of smiling cordially and side stepping the question, I began to wonder when being single and almost 30 became akin to having some kind of disease. Because other than the temporary bad mood that I had been in due to a little too much stress, I was actually satisfied with my life. I find few things more exhilarating than having the freedom to do what I want, when I want, and with whom I want on my own terms. But when did my happiness with my own life become not enough? When had I crossed the threshold from fabulously and individually capable to desperately in need of companionship? When had I lost the right to rep "team me" in lieu of becoming part of an "us?" When had being on my own become no longer acceptable?

Don't get me wrong, marriage and family are definitely on my radar, and if I wanted a husband just for the sake of having one I could have been married three times over by now. But in my opinion, settling for the sake of meeting other people's expectations is for losers. So until I meet the person that I feel is the right fit for me, I choose to continue enjoying my life to the fullest and giving myself all the love and attention I can stand. And if it doesn't meet other people's timeline? *Kanye shrug* As the picture above so eloquently states, this is my life, and rather than giving too much thought to how other people think I should live it, I choose to live my own dreams and wear my own passion.

-MsSexyDanielle

No comments:

Post a Comment