Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sweet 29

So today's the big 2-9...happy birthday to me! With the advent of Facebook and the convenient "HBD" text, birthday cards are becoming a thing of the past. Nonetheless, I knew I could count on one from my grandma in the mail, so I rushed to get to my mailbox after work today. Sure enough, she did not disappoint. I was expecting one of those sweet but annoying singing birthday cards, but instead she had selected something much more profound that hit the nail exactly on the head. The front of the card read:

"There is a beauty in becoming
 a little more ourselves
with every passing year..."

Truer words have never been spoken! Looking back over my 20s, I realize how much of it I wasted making bad choices, going in the wrong direction, and desperately trying to keep people in my life who didn't belong there, all because I had no idea who I really was. And we all know that it is virtually impossible to truly love a person you barely know. But as the saying goes, with age comes wisdom. I've grown to a point where I can truly call myself a woman...a woman who knows exactly who she is, where she's going, what she wants, and who refuses to settle for less. I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life...physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, professionally, and financially. If 29 feels this good, I absolutely cannot wait for 30!

"Gonna live my life, feels so good to get it right!
So I like what I see when I'm looking at me
when I'm walking past the mirror.
No stress through the night, have the time of my life
ain't worried 'bout if you feel it.
Got my head on straight, I got my vibe right
I ain't gonna let you kill it.
See I wouldn't change my life, my life's just..."






-MsSexyDanielle

1 comment:

  1. You are one of the best writers I know. Your flow is easy to comprehend and imagine. Happy 29th to one of my favorite people!

    ReplyDelete