Monday, November 7, 2011

A Blessing in Disguise

This has no doubt been one of the most difficult and physically painful weeks in my entire life. Most people who know me already know the story, but for those of you in the blogosphere who don't, I suffered a pretty serious  injury at work (I won't go into all the details, but I will say it involved my head, metal plates, and a school bus door. I know right? You can go ahead and say it, random shit like that only happens to me!). Needless to say, I've spent the last week back and forth at a variety of doctors, out of work and holed up in my apartment trying to recover. Being the undeniably selfish person that I sometimes am, naturally my first response was "Why me?" All I could think about was how painful and inconvenient this whole ordeal was shaping up to be, and how it was unfair that I had to go through this.

But as I spent my week glued to my couch, slipping in and out of consciousness from a cocktail of medications, a funny thing happened.

It became clear to me just how much love I have in my life in the form of family members, friends (the real life and virtual kind) and co-workers that I often take for granted. The kindness shown to me was simply overwhelming: my mother who dropped everything and drove three hours to be with me; my family members, personal friends, Facebook friends, and Twitter followers who kept my phone buzzing and email box full with a constant barrage of calls, text messages, wall posts, tweets, and emails to see how I was doing; my co-workers who drove me to doctor appointments, filled prescriptions, fed me, and even saw to it that my vehicle was safe (because I was in no shape to operate it). I couldn't believe how many people went out of their way to make me feel comfortable. So often, I get so bogged down by all my responsibilities that I forget just how truly wonderful and beautiful the people in my life are. When I was first injured, the school sent someone to pick me up and take me to the doctor. As I sat there and waited, the thought kept replaying in my mind that I was here all alone. My entire family was three hours away, and should I have an emergency (like right now), I didn't even have anyone that I could call right away for help. That thought (along with the excruciating pain in my head) made me sob uncontrollably. But the outpouring of support I received throughout the week let me know just how wrong I was. And I've never been so happy to be wrong :-)


When I felt I had enough,
You never turned away,
You were right there....
And I THANK YOU! 




-MsSexyDanielle

No comments:

Post a Comment